Monday, October 26, 2009

Victoria Secret Model

Lingerie, in my opinion, is a waste of money. This is a billion dollar industry that plays on the sentiments of millions of women all over the world, who believe they will look better in their underwear when it's embellished with lace, lycra or a wire. Most men, at least in my knowledge, don't give a crap about a woman's underwear, as long as they can get what lies beneath. So why do women still indulge in this enticing piece of clothing? I think it makes us feel special and allows us the satisfaction of knowing that if we stripped down to our bare essentials, we'll still be desirable. Insecurity? Perhaps, but I think it has more to do with confidence and positive self image.

The fact that each and every one of the models who poses, semi-nude, in these ads are either less than eighteen and/or have an eating disorder, have the most unattainable bodies, and skin as flawless as a new born baby, should in of itself be a detterent. Think about it. How many women do you know in your life, who are near replicas of the beautiful teen goddesses we see in these lingerie ads? My count...none. Nearly every woman I know is either weight and height challenged, or has stretch marks, or is a combination of miss piggy and a dried prune. Yet, many of them indulge in the sensuous undergarments. Maybe I'm just a feminist at heart, but I would really like to see a Victoria Secret model look like a real woman.

So, it came as a shock when, standing in front of the mirror in my second skins, I declared to my husband that I was going to be a Victoria Secret model. Yes, he had the same reaction as you just did, he laughed, out loud. Why was this such a joke? I have a relatively fit body and could put any 22 ( alright 27) year old to shame. Of course having had 3 children has left my skin looking like a map of a Martian landscape, guaranteed to get you lost. Other than that, I don't see any difference in me and the skinny, stereotypical lingerie model. Maybe the legs aren't long and shapely as those chaddi clad tweenies, and the cellulite looks like a thin bag overfilled with marbles, but why was I, and women like me, being sidelined from mainstream industries like this. It just isn't fair! I have the attitude, the charisma, the face may need a little work but it can hold it's own when made up, I felt beautiful, had a great body image, and was as real as any woman you'd get. So why wasn't I the epitome of beauty, as seen on TV?

The disappointment at my husband's reaction, to my announcement, must have shown on my face. He stared at me for a good two minutes, and smiled. "Why would you want to be a Victoria Secret model, when you're already my Secret model?" That just put everything into perspective...I was going to one of the most beautiful women to this man and his children, no matter how many craters I accumulated or what my dress size was. And that's all I needed to double my physical confidence.

5 comments:

  1. Awwww! What a guy!!!

    Ha ha aha!!!! I totally understand ur frustration. Oprah had once featured a show where some company uses regular women like u and me for their products. I am not too sure whether it was for underwear! And incase u are really serious abt it, contact Dove. They are really looking for regular women!!! Ha ha ha! That is provided u still have hair left!!!

    And don't kid me woman! i have seen some recent pics. I do not think that u have put on an ounce of fat from the college days! The cellulite must be in ur eyes! Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 21 and already feel ugly.Victoria Secrets and the like are playing with our perception of beauty. :|

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just loved this post !!!!

    I just loved the way your hubby told you that u are in Secret Model - Come on, what else do you need in life !!!!!

    The assurance that our family loves us beyond our physical appearance is so comforting and will put all worries in the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. To Saniya: If u feel ugly....the rest of us have no hope. You've been one of the most beautiful I've known since....well since u were born.

    ReplyDelete