Sunday, October 4, 2009

Addicted!!

I was convinced I was made of sterner stuff. But that blew up in my face when a friend introduced me to something that not only gives me a high, but has me going back for more. Damn, I thought I was above all these petty things after I left college. Even in those days, of my long forgotten youth, I was strong enough to say no. Or maybe, I just wasn't curious enough.

I've been around the world and tried a few things here and there, which, frankly, couldn't hold my juvenile attention for too long. Now, as I grow older and, perhaps, more focused, I find myself drawn to things I would never have considered before. Although I must admit, the prospect of having an influence that grabs your attention and desire so compellingly, has always facinated me. Like I said, I thought I was above it all.

Oh my God, Ma!! It's definitely not what you think....it's worse! This overwhelming need to get a fix every single day is starting to get to me. I tried once to stop, stayed away for a whole 35 hour, 4 minutes and 23 seconds. Thought it was going to a piece of cake. Man! was I wrong!! I couldn't sleep that night. Every time I closed my eyes, it felt like the anticipated fear of when you can see a huge lead weight dangling over your head, and you don't know if it's going to fall. The day was even worse. Every waking moment was spent in dreaming about how I felt when I had had a hit. It was excruciating!

I've finally come to the realization that I'm better composed and prepared to face this big bad world only after I've had a hit. Yes, I'm rendered inaccessible for a good half hour once I'm in my zone. But this is me. I feel better every time I attain a new level. I don't think I'm going to give this up too soon, I like it too much. I just wanted to let the world know, that things like this can happen to anyone. I'm not special or above it all and this has just been a wake up call, to see myself as human (not talking in extra-terrestrial terms). I'd tell you not to get involved or try it but I'd be doing a disservice to society in general. But if you should try it, don't ever say I didn't warn you!

Who knows, maybe you're stronger than I am. But if not, come be my neighbor on Farmville.

5 comments:

  1. OMG !!! Gowri !!! You had me thinking all sorts of stuff, before I reached the last line !!!

    So, dear Farmville addict !!!! Take care !!! This virtual addiction know no bounds. It eats up all the time we have.

    I've been infected by the BIV - Blog Infected Virus !!!! We are in the same boat - Give me 5 !!!

    http://umsreflections.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow so u addcited to that application of FB... LOL... looks like everyone is except me... I had joined it long back wen it was first intorduced...grew so bored with it coz there was nothin to do and all and removed the whole application...Now i suddenly find that everyone is totally into it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see everyone into it, but frannkly I am not too sure I can keep up with addiction. I tried it with sudoku. Then there came a stage when I would be walking around with the rolled up newspaper and pencil wherever I went. I gave it up before I sunk in further!

    Crap! I thought u were into drugs or something. Crazy woman. Get off farmville and read my blog. last warning to u!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People, an addiction is an addiction!! Whether it's crack, meth or farmville! Butterfly, I have been reading your posts....especially liked the parenting one. I just dared not write a comment, since I'm really not too much of an authority on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain. I am addicted to Mafia Wars. I HAVE to kill, at the most maim someone every day. And of course there's the millions that I make for all the jobs I do. Who can resist? But then ten days ago I was called away for a family emergency and didn't have access to the Net. When I got back yesterday I made a vow (and displayed it on my FB status) that the Mafia life is no longer for me. I am a lone runner. Life is good... :D

    ReplyDelete