Friday, November 6, 2009

In Memorandum

Words are not enough to describe the loss I feel since you've been gone. I'd never once paid you the kind of attention you deserved, and for that I'm truly sorry. You were the very essence of my being. You kept me playful and silly, funny yet honest with myself, and above all beautiful. I'd always taken you for granted, knowing full well you'd leave me one day, but stubbornly pushing that fact out of my full mind. You incited thoughts and feelings that only you could conjure up. I was never for want of a friend as long as I had you to confide my craziest secrets to.

My strength endures today because of your irrepressible encouragement that I could do whatever I wanted, until it was no longer right. You made me fearless when faced with challenges, many of which I would never replicate again without you. I was the tomboy in my girlie world, yet feminine enough to warrant my father's sternest protection, only because of you. You pushed me to be vain, showing me the world as other saw it, but never letting me lose sight of who I really was or would become. Impermeable to others' opinions, you influenced me to be the same. Selflessness, charity, love, positivity, care-free attitude were some of the seeds mom sowed but you cultured and cultivated, giving your own twist to my sobriety.

I've mourned my losses before, but today for the first time I realize what it means to have loved and lost, without knowing. You were the greatest friend a girl could have had. I will miss you dearly but will go on to build on what you started, a better me. Goodbye youth.

5 comments:

  1. Crazy Woman! U know what, u shud start writing professionally. The words flow so well. I don't think I could describe anything like that, even if my life depended on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for heaven's sake, remove that 'word verification' option. I have many times exited after commenting and before waiting for the page to refresh! Have mercy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG !!!! Mourning for the lost youth ????? You always try to keep it as a surprise and finally when you reveal it, its kind of funny feeling, inside me.

    But the greatest challenge is keeping the youthfulness at heart and in our thinking !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butterfly...thank you for the encouragement...am thinking about it.
    Umas....youth is always lost physically. One loses it completely only if loses the will to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes you have a lovely way with words. Keep writing and it gets better i guess. Love the flow! :)

    ReplyDelete