Monday, September 28, 2009

Silver Streak

I am not given to vanity. I'd like to think I don't have to try too hard to look good. You know, it's all in the attitude! Besides, what you see is what you get. So, there I was, bleary eyed, in front of my mirror this morning, when my head seemed to shine. I rubbed my eyes, twice. It was probably the fluorescence of the light playing tricks on my eyes...or my head. But no! The glow now intermittent still appeared to come from my head.

Oh my GOd!! I was dead and had come down from heaven as an angel to save some poor bastard from a life of crime and misery! Except, my path to hell has already been prepped with rose petals and surgical knives. So, no angel! Then what was this physical aura that I was resonating? I grabbed my glasses (I keep them handy for just these occasions) and slammed them on my face. The view cleared. The shine seemed more acute, more concentrated on some parts than others. I peered at myself, moving closer to the mirror, to the other me. And there I saw it, the source of my light....white hair!! Not just one or two but a whole army of them facing me as if on the verge of an attack.

No this can't be true, it can't be that bad. I drew in a breath to steady myself and got down immediately to the task of assessing the damage. Aaahhh!! I was starring in a bad 80's Indian movie! Not as the heroine but as the evil MIL or stepmother whose most distinguishing facet happened to be a thick streak of white hair from temple to tip. This can't be happening!

 It's not like I didn't know I had a few white hair, but today I seemed to have changed, albeit physically. What was I to do? Do I color it and hope the results are flattering? But a lifetime of servitude to hair coloring makes me list off all the things I could do with the time and the money. No! I could take this take this one of two ways: I could cry and lament over my misfortunes of having 'premature' grey hair ( I hate you ma!) or I could embrace my new asset and look mature, for the first time in my life.

Silver streaks it is!

2 comments:

  1. woman! U are lamenting over grey hair at this age? Well I can say it so easily bcos I had them from college days, so I am a veteran at this.

    Stay away from colours. I think they give more grey hairs. Stick to Henna! And once u have done that, go over to my page and read my Blogs too!!! Grrrrrrr@$%^&^&**^^^%)*&@!$

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah !! No need to fret and fume over grey hairs. Happens to all at some point in life.

    As butterfly, says, avoid the colours - you never know which one didnt suit you, till you tried them all. By that time, all the damage would have happened.

    Better to think of yourself as an Angel !!!

    ReplyDelete