Thursday, September 17, 2009

Guilty!!

Ok, I have to confess....I've been reading! I know, what better sin could there be than a book that actually manages to captivate MY attention?....I'll answer that question later.
The truth is, I've been engrossed in the Twilight series. Yeah Bro, I can hear you snigger! I am, as many of you know, pragmatic and hardlined as they come. I haven't used my imagination in over 15 years. WHAT?? No, it's not like I don't read or have day-dreams. Its just that I haven't clearly been able picturize what I've read in a long time and honestly it scared me when I did, with this book. Now let me make it clear, I am NOT a romantic!! And this book or series is exactly that ... chick lit.... so, imagine my horror now!

I cannot stand books that have the Heroine as a mousy, unable to defend herself, geeky type, who invariably falls for the hottest guy around with a do-good conscience.... it makes me want to puke! This book delivers in that catagory exceptionally well, where I found myself hating (strong word) the main female charecter beyond civilized words and wanting a one night stand with the alternate male lead (the wolf guy). The male lead is a 'vegetarian' vampire who's the epitome of goodness and love...oh please!! Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a healthy romance, but this stretched my patience to a limit I didn't think possible. And I have a house full of kids!!

Before you think me an opinionated oaf, which I will not deny, let me say that I read the whole series of 4, 800 page books in less than a week, not bad for a busy professional mom with 2 other jobs. I couldn't get myself to put these books down! I have to admit the writer's imagination for the absurd and and the humanly challenged is out of this world...literally, which only heightened my curiosity to a 'blood thirsty' pitch. At the end of the saga...which it painfully was, I realized that I was terribly disappointed. The story ended as if a fairy tale and the sheer pleasure of my imagination running amock was brought to a crashing end. No one dies. No fight for love. No unresolved misunderstandings. No nothing! Just a quick happy ending! As if the author had run out of options or had no motivation to make this story a possible epic (which it could have been).

So, there I am completely disowning the vamparic system, when I chanced upon the movie Twilight, based on the first book. WOW!! what a piece of crap!! The highlight of the movie was the end credits. As if the bad acting wasn't enough, the movie shredded the book and used completely irrelevant fragments.... although I do believe they were trying to stay as true to the story as possible. The girl playing the lead charecter fitted the role perfectly. However, the male lead was another story. This, possible, drop-dead gorgeous kid looked scared stiff of the vampire he was playing and instead of arousing my feelings of love (he did manage lust for a bit) I found myself cringing and hoping he gets saved from himself. It was a thoroughly anti-climactic finish.

So did I enjoy the story? HELL YEAH!! This, most unlikely, book managed to awaken a buried side of me that I thought I had lost. My once dormant mind was suddenly thrust into a frenzy of possibilities that seemed even to astonish me... which is very rare. I have come to realize that my life is about to change. How? I have no idea...but you'll be the first to know. Oh yeah, and you can bet I'm waiting for the next movie in the series.... I hear it gives 'red eye' a whole new meaning.

2 comments:

  1. After reading your opinion on the book, I am not inspired to read it one bit. Yes, I am jealous of everyone who was able to continue reading even after they have had kids and a job. I just cannot seem to finish any book these days. I used to read like my life depended on it.

    And BTW, not seeing you on my blog! Hmmmmmmmmppppphhhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the guy in the movie was incredibly hot!!!! in a weird kinda way. Not the george clooney hot types, but somethin about him was captivating. I didn't enjoy the movie much though!
    Nice to see u bak after a long time

    ReplyDelete