Friday, February 17, 2012

Honey Chili Chicken

I don't cook! Not because I can't, but because I've been told over and over again by certain people, over multiple years, that I can't, that I am a terrible cook, that the maid makes better food than I do. So, I got rid of the maid! But I still don't cook. There in lies the dilemma. Since the official maker of the stuff we eat has left, I have had little choice but to re-enter the room with all the utensils, and subject myself to the harsh environs in front of the stove, to feed the kids.

As with everything I do, I have taken this up as a challenge, but with a twist. I will no longer toil in the kitchen, as I had done for over a decade, with no appreciation, sometimes down right humiliation. No sir! I have now taken it upon myself to concoct, nay create my own versions of recipes that I love. And yes, there will be no choice (evil laugh in the background).

Tonight I started with one of my favorite recipes, Honey Chili Chicken, made in a pressure cooker. I know, I gasped too when 'shown' this recipe by a dear friend who is a certified chef, without the certificate. I would divulge the ingredients and procedure, besides the Honey, Chili, Chicken and the pressure cooker, but I was made to take an oath, under the condition that if I ever did tell anyone, I would never be fed. So bear with me. I will try my best to describe the end result.

Picture: Succulent, plump whole legs of chicken browned to a deep caramel color, with its skin blistered to a paper thin crisp layer. The juices freely flowing clear into the bed of potato wedges, when cut. The white flesh tender to the touch of the fork, yet firm enough to be cut off the bone. The sauce, a color of deep Mahogany with the scent of dark forest honey fleetingly tempered with bright red, hand crushed chili flakes.

I would have taken pictures, if only there had been enough time before it was devoured. The kids and the cat have complimented the chef, and I feel like I can do wonders. Now, for my next trick....eggplant lasagna....for you vegetarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment