Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hot Flashes

Name:  IWD Contest 200x200.gif
Views: 7161
Size:  14.1 KB
It's unusual for me to be requested to write about something serious, since I don't easily do serious. But, I was tagged by a good friend and a fellow blogger to write for International women's day, and since I'm always up for a challenge, here goes.

Sixteen in a tough age, regardless of your gender. But being a sixteen year old teenage girl, with a newly acquired svelte figure, raging hormones, handling school, work and boys can be especially tough when going through menopause.

The symptoms were vague to begin with. Emotional outbursts ranging from joy and precious laughter to inconsolable sobbing. It was hard to pinpoint anything in the early days, since the episodes were sporadic. Days would go by with nothing of note and then suddenly...BAM!! there would be fits of rage, the likes of which I'd seldom seen. As months progressed, the melancholy set in. Listlessness pursued with an indifference that could have bordered on  manic depression. But life went on. I was clueless as to why this was happening, but was sure it was happening, regardless of the constant denials. There wasn't a name for this condition, at least not in my limited vocabulary, then.

The worst part about the whole thing, I couldn't talk to anyone about it. My friends, at the time, were too busy making out or making plans to make out, for me to even consider approaching them. Dad, my fall guy, was conveniently missing in action, whenever I'd think about pouring my heart out. The younger brother, well, I don't actually remember him being in the house on most days, was a no go. That left the only person capable of easing my mind, mom. But every time I'd breach the topic, she'd wave it off as nothing.

I am now in my mid thirties, have three children and feel the onset of the same symptoms. I'm too young for this, just as I was at sixteen! But this time round I'm prepared. I'm now fully aware of my body and it's changes, knowing that changes are coming that I probably will not have control over. I know I'm going to have to enlist support. I've gone as far as warning my husband of the impending doom and sensitizing my children to the emotional turmoil that is set forth in their future. I'm going to get through this menopause knowing full well the emotional, physical and psychological hell I may encounter.

 No, I'm not going to make the same mistakes as my mother!


I tag 3 of my fellow bloggers:
Trendsetters
Shades of Grey
Ash's Corner

1 comment:

  1. As mailed by my mother: Love this woman!

    You said it! It was uncontrolable emotional,physical outburst may be, but thinking back i feel i was much more sobre than many women with M syndrom.
    Fortunately for me, I'd escaped the experience since my mom got it very late at almost 58.and ofcourse by then i was enjoying my own happy family.Poor Baba. I'm sure he was very brave to face the whole scene alone.
    Now, unfortunately for you, it started in my late thirties and continued for almost ten years. Now that was really a great torture for us but where else would i go? there was only one person who would understand me completely was you,my daughter. I remember us talking the situation over but as you know it happens unknowingly.so---
    It is for sure that beacause we were open to each other and talked about everything ,it was soothing for me as well as it was a great lesson for you about your future. You've learnt it and working accordingly is a good thing. so--- all the best. We always learn from our mom's mistakes isn't it?
    happy womens' day to you! luv u------maa.

    ReplyDelete