Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The saga continues...

I've just climbed up a notch on the stupidity scale. I know, how is that possible when I'm already up there? I have to admit I have succumbed to hype. This is quite unlike me. But the tempation of knowing for myself was too much. What am talking about? The much publicized movie New Moon. I spent a good portion of my day and half price of the ticket to watch this movie, based on the book of the same name. Why didn't someone stop me?

I had previously written about Twilight, the first in the series of this saga, and of the sheer disappointment I'd felt upon watching the movie (read Guilty). Well, the disappointment hasn't changed. The story is that of Romeo and Juliet with a sanguine twist. The main character performers, I refuse to call them actors, are a year older and twice as boring. The protagonist, a young girl in love with a vampire, was just as unimpressive as she had been in the previous movie, except she had nice shiny hair. The person playing the vampire, whom the girl is in love with, looked just as lost as in the first movie, and had a body to go with the sickly face. No, he is not the hottest thing since sliced bread, as declared by many publications.

The highlight, however, was the wolf guy. This guy, can't get myself to call him boy though he is only 17, has developed in physique that would far exceed any teenage girl's fantasy. He also cuts off his long locks to look like the embodiment of one of the mythological Greek gods. I'm usually not swayed by superficial aspects of a person, but I got to tell you, it was really hard to ignore this guy's screen presence. The worst part is that there were five other semi-clad, bronzed, hard-muscled teenage boys in the wolf pack (you can't just have one wolf), that just seemed to bring the cougar out in me. His acting wasn't bad I suppose, not that I was paying much attention, but it was much better than the love-lorn pair for sure.

I have to be honest, the one thing I did like, apart from the hot teenage Native American guy, was the special effects. The sequences of the wolf transformations were superb. It actually managed to stay true to the story and believability factor. Some of the chase scenes too were well done, but after a while I started to get dizzy spells, I'm not much of a runner. The fight scene between the vampires near the end of the movie was very weird. I clearly saw the vampire boy start it, but by the end he was the one lying on the broken floor, being beaten to a hard pulp. What transpired in between, I am still clueless about. The movie also had an amazing assortment of contact lenses, colors ranging from jaundice yellow to blood rich red, which I suppose was to enhance the color coding of the vampires according to their varied diets.

The seasoned actors (the other vampire characters played in the movie) actually managed to pull off the depiction of human blood drinking vampires very well, especially the leader of the brotherhood. His portrayal of a vampire leader, trying very hard to resist drinking the lead character's blood made me down right thirsty. Alas, to be one kiss away.
The end of the movie is as terrible as the book, but hey, if I read the whole saga, I'm sure as hell going to watch the damn series of movies too, at least to satisfy my craving for a little more than blood.

1 comment:

  1. absolutely loved the review!! :) though am yet to enter this raved about chronicles, be it in a written or visual form, garner the general mood and theme. so it was fun, your point of view, when looked at totally objectively, sort of, from outside the arena...anyhow, its not that i enjoy your other posts any lesser, this one takes the cake, it was perfect prose...professional touch! :) hope to come for more..

    ReplyDelete