Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What I did in my summer vacation.

Schools have started. And as my kids venture forth in their wonderful world of education, I was made to feel like the mother from hell when my oldest came home today.

Oldest child: Maa, I have to write an essay on what I did in my summer vacation.

Maa: Great, you're a good writer. (thinking...wonder where you get that from?)

Oldest child: Ya, but I didn't do anything this summer! We were stuck in day-care...remember?? You absolutely ruined our vacation!! Now I have nothing to write about!

Maa: Well, look on the bright side, at least you won't have to write as much as the other kids.

Yes, I totally ruined my kids summer vacation. But in all fairness, there had been no promises of exotic foreign escapades, or skiing in the Himalayas. No, I had made it perfectly clear, from two months before vacation started, that this vacation was all about me. The resistance had started from the minute I laid down the plan. There would be no trips to the zoo or museums. They could continue their usual activities like karate, swimming, skating and so on. But, the entire vacation would revolve around me. Unfair!! I hear you say. Well, life ain't fair...so deal with it!

For a month and a half my three angels endured the grueling routine of waking up early, only to be packed up and dumped in day-care, a task I truly hated doing. Every morning would be the same, filled with howling cries of  "I don't want to go to day-care!! I hate that place!" Yet, I unrelentingly carted them off under influence of bribes, that were all made good on, and sometimes threats of dire consequences*. And at the end of the day I would bring them back only to feed them and shove them out of the house, to play. The curfew was extended from 7.30pm to an unthinkable 9pm, something that still makes me shiver.

And what was I doing, while my children were couped up in a room with activities that could numb every nerve fiber? Or out galavanting in the summer heat, unsupervised?

Giving examinations for the first year of my Master's program.

I'd been warned that studying with kids is difficult, with very little time for actual studying. But my kids helped me through a tough, sometimes whiny, and many a times emotional summer. If it hadn't been for their effort and sincere desire to help me, I don't think I'd have been able to accomplish such an immense task. They've been nothing short of troopers to see me through the last month of intense study, 6 papers, 2 practical exams and a karate exam, to top it. I know, I've been unfair to the kids, but believe me, they're getting their money's worth out of me, and have 3 pending vacations that they have already planned out.

Now lets hope my results are as fantastic as my kids are.






* Threats of dire consequences: "Do you want mommy to fail her exams? Sob! Sob!"

No comments:

Post a Comment