Friday, February 12, 2010

Aunty Social

I am a likable person. Unless, of course, you are averse to the straight talking, 'this is shit, not play-dough', I can't fake smile (even for the camera), I'll do what I please, and screw what people think kind of person. Then I'm probably not on your guest list. I've been like this most of my life and have many a times been reprimanded for my sincerity (as I like to think of it). In school, I had as many friends as George Bush Jr has tact. As I go through life I've made a few real friends, only those people who could stand me for what I am (family's not counted, they ain't got a choice), most of who are now a few thousand miles away.

Since I've had children, however, I've become milder in manner and approach. I now readily stop to greet people I'm acquainted with, chat about trivial issues of weather, the children's wellbeing, and other such things. I still am guilty of being outspoken and straight talking when the occasion calls for it, but have learned (sometimes the hard way) to sugar coat things. "Darling, this is poo-poo, not play dough."

But hard as I try, I can't seem to make friends like I used to. Am I such a crazy person that I can't make a connection with my peers? Or, are people just that dumb that they don't get me? I like the second choice better.

I actually tried to get to know a few women, of my general age, from my apartment complex. I smiled, exchanged pleasantaries, talked about the kids, asked semi personal questions and finally got together with these women as a group. That was the only time, a few months ago. My idea of a good time does not involve bitching about the only person not present in the group, or sitting around talking about the same shit we talked about in the morning. Nor do I find prayer meetings too enthralling (God I believe in, just not religion), or eating fatty foods without doing something to work it off.

No, I'm just not fun anymore!

I'd much rather be doing something that involves either physically stimulating activities (talking about games and exercise, people!!) or activities that entice my mental abilities, as limited as they may be. I'd rather discuss a good, or even a bad book you've read, or what you think of the Shiv Sena's approach to killing Mumbai. Your ideas will be respected and heard, but will not be entertained if they involve fashion, make-up, movie stars' lives, or for that matter other people's lives. If you've got something to say about your religious fervor and devotion, you might as well turn around now.

No, I'm not an easy person to get along with as I plunge face first towards old age. But at least I know I won't die of boredom because of the people I choose to socialize with. And if that makes me anti-social, so be it.

3 comments:

  1. :D U know I love you, don't ya?? Pls don't change a bit. I understand exactly what u have written about here. U need to find your kinda people and they are so rare. I'd rather have an intellectual conversation any day. So when we ladies meet, I steer the topics towards certain interesting topics and get a debate going. I make my life more interesting. I have the same kinda problems. But ppl love me. They associate me with all things fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Butterfly. I think it would have been easier to establish myself if I didn't change continents so often. But you know what, that part I'm not ready to give up right now. And the friends I've made, despite of the moving about, I know would stick by me no matter what. I think, at this point in life I've come to realize that I'm complete in my self, and if the need ever arises to connect with someone, well I've always got you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey.....so true.......getting along with people can be one of the toughest challenges on this planet (& I include spouses as well). People are unpredictable. Some people even bite! Some of us can easily handle the stress from dealing with many people, but others may find it a cumbersome challenge. I am one example....I don't click easy & so I tried to change a few things about me...like engaging in a continual effort to be friendly towards all in whatever situation and at whatever time be it at work or outside.
    People still have a problem with me & I continue to try to be friendly.....but then if I am disliked......I am........what I am & I really don't give a fuck as long as I know I have the right to choose my friends.

    ReplyDelete